The Institute of Fundamental and Frontier Sciences (IFFS) is an interdisciplinary department at the University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC) in Chengdu, China. We are looking for highly qualified candidates to join our international faculty in a wide array of scientific disciplines:
· Quantum information and quantum technologies.
· Physics, including integrated photonics, theoretical physics, condensed matter physics, nano materials and devices.
· Chemistry, including colloid and interface, surface modification of materials, catalysis and polymer chemistry.
· Mathematics and systems science, including artificial intelligence, nonlinear theory, bioinformatics, granular computing, algorithms and applications.
◆ Senior Faculty
· The candidate has a full-time professor or associate professor position in world-class universities; or
· The candidate has a full-time director or vice director position in world-class institutes; or
· The candidate is a fellow of IEEE, APS or OSA.
Research Funding and Remuneration
· The startup funding and remuneration package will be assessed individually based on the profile of each candidate
Early- and mid-career candidates are encouraged to apply to one of the talent programs run by the Chinese government. IFFS and UESTC will provide support for the candidate throughout the application process. The government will provide generous startup funding and personal relocation package to each successful candidate. IFFS and UESTC will complement the government funding to facilitate the career development of successful candidates.
◆ Early- and mid-career Faculty
· At least 36 months of consecutive work experience in research after completion of PhD.
· The UESTC startup funding package will be no less than the government funding.
· Office and lab space.
· Full professorship, with qualification to supervise PhD students.
· Possibility of applying for additional 3 million RMB funding through a competitive grant administered by the Chengdu municipal government.
· The basic annual salary is no less than 450,000 RMB (with the possibility of a dynamic increase).
· Insurance and housing subsidies of around 100,000 RMB per year.
· No salary cap for rewarding high level scientific achievements.
· A relocation package with a combined value of 1.8-2.2 million RMB provided by different sources (central government, Sichuan province and UESTC).
1. General Information
The Institute of Fundamental and Frontier Sciences of the University of Electronic Science and Technology of China was established in 2014 as the “Special Academic Zone” of the university to boost basic research and foster innovation. Researchers with extensive international experience conduct cutting-edge research in its nurturing environment.
2. Core Missions
Under the leadership of honorary Dean, Guangcan Guo, Academician of China Academy of Sciences,and the Dean Dr. Zhiming Wang, IFFS is committed to gather and continue to develop the team of high-level international scientists, professors, postdocs and students. In the framework of the ‘Special Academic Zone’ founded by UESTC, IFFS adopts advanced management mode in line with international standards.
Early stage efforts of IFFS have helped the institute to attract a talent faculty (including postdoctoral fellows). Among them, most outstanding young scholars come from world-renowned universities and institutions such as MIT, Cambridge University, Berkeley University, University of Tokyo and Max Planck Institute.
Supported by UESTC substantially, IFFS make joint efforts to build first-rate university with first-rate disciplines, IFFS has established an international and interdisciplinary research team and platform by adopting an internationally compatible research organization mode and assessment system.
IFFS has established in-depth cooperation with more than 10 universities and research center from Europe, North America and Australia to jointly cultivate postdoctoral research fellow, Ph.D. candidate.
IFFS attaches great importance to international cooperation and communication. IFFS has held international academic activities continually to provides scholars both home and abroad a opportunities to follow the cutting-edge research and to discuss the details of possible future collaborations.
Over 90% of our faculties are under 45 years old that makes a uniquely active atmosphere for IFFS. Monthly professors’ lunch meeting, annual welcome party, etc. makes everyone here felt a greater sense of belonging within this community.
1. General Information
UESTC located in Chengdu (southwest of China), is a national key multidisciplinary university specialized in electronic engineering and information science and technology, with a harmonious integration of science, engineering, management and liberal arts. It has selected as "first-class universities" and "first-class disciplines" in China and enjoyed high reputation both at home and abroad.
★ Key Facts about UESTC
39,800—— 39,800 students in UESTC (19,800 Undergraduates, 17,000 Masters, 3,000 Ph.D Candidates.).
3,800—— 3800 UESTC staff (2,390 faculty members, 630 professors).
1,600—— Over 1,600 international students from over 100 countries.
676—— Real Estate Holdings: 3 campuses with 676 acres.
Motto—— "To seek facts and truth, to be noble and ambitious".
(Zeng Yong, UESTC’S 9th president, Sep. 2018-present)
“We hope you can develop your cross-cultural communication competence through exchange, communication, mutual appreciation and mutual learning, and strive to become friendly ambassadors between China and other countries around the world.”
2020 US News
Best Global Universities Rankings
Institute of Fundamental and Frontier Sciences (IFFS) of University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC)
Talents Recruitment & General Affairs Office
Contact: Ms. Zhang, Mr. Li
Address: Shahe Campus: No. 4, Section 2, North Jianshe Road, Chengdu 610054.